Well, summer vacation is officially over! I went back to work yesterday and now we’re knee deep in teacher in-service and getting ready for the school year. I feel like this summer went flying by (but for realz… Did June and July REALLY happen?!), and I can’t believe I’ll be welcoming in my new group of kiddos in a few short weeks. Now I just have to mentally prepare for work again… I know I’ll get there soon haha!
My summer break may be over, but I’m not ready to say goodbye to all the amazing summer produce that’s still going strong. One of the things I love the most about this time of year is how affordable and absolutely delicious all my favorite fruits are! I always look forward to fresh strawberries, ripe blueberries and juicy raspberries and blackberries. I can’t get enough of them! So when Isaac and I had some friends over for dinner the other night, I turned to my go-to berries for a yummy dessert they would love. And that’s how this berry crisp was born!
When coming up with the recipe, my goals were to keep things fresh and light, but also gluten and dairy free. The result? My favorite summer berry crisp to date! I used honey to sweeten, canned coconut milk for some creaminess, and lots and lots of fresh berries. It’s not only a delicious dessert, but also perfect for a fruity breakfast treat or morning snack. Pair it with some whipped cream (or coconut cream for a dairy free option), and you’ll understand why I love it so much!
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 can coconut milk (use the SOLID part only)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp honey
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the berry fillings, then pour into a 9×13 inch glass baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the topping ingredients until a soft crumble has formed.
- Evenly distribute the topping over the berries and smooth it out.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the topping is browned and crunchy! *Optional: turn on the broiler for the last few minutes to get a crispier top!
- Enjoy immediately, and store in the fridge.
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
What is your favorite way to eat fresh berries?
Are you sad summer is coming to a close?