July is here, which means it’s that time of the year again- when we deck everything out in red, white and blue! I’m normally not a very patriotic person, but when the Fourth of July rolls around, I invariably show some of my American pride. There’s just something exciting about this time of year. Summer is in full swing, the days are long and the time spent with family and friends is sweeter. I always look forward to watching fireworks at the lake, cooking out with my family, eating a ton of watermelon and homemade ice cream, and enjoying the warm summer night.
One of my favorite things about making food is getting creative and having fun with my ingredients. That’s one of the reasons I love using trifles. You can go crazy with your layers, and throwing simple ingredients together turns into a masterpiece. For this dessert, I decided to give it a little patriotic spin with red, white and blue layers. It turned out delicious! It was a hit among my family, and I know I’ll make it again soon.
Looking for more Fourth of July recipes? Check out my Berry Patriotic Pie or my Stars and Stripes Pinterest board.
- 1 angel food cake loaf
- 1/2 cup water
- (1) 12 oz container Cool Whip
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 lb strawberries
- 1 lb blueberries
- In a large bowl, combine the pudding mix, water and sweetened condensed milk. Mix until smooth, then fold in 12 ounces of Cool Whip until no streaks remain. (*Keep in the refrigerator while prepping the other ingredients)
- Cut the angel food cake into 1 inch cubes and set aside.
- Rinse and pat dry the strawberries and blueberries. Slice the strawberries.
- Layer the trifle in the following order: angel food cake, pudding mixture, strawberries, angel food cake, pudding mixture, blueberries, angel food cake, pudding mixture.
- Use the rest of the strawberries and blueberries to make a fun design on top.
- Serving tip: Chill for 4 hours and serve immediately!