Who’s excited for another Whole30 compliant recipe?? I hope you are, because today’s recipe is a WINNER. I made an amazing breakfast frittata the last time I did Whole30, so it’s only fitting that I made another one this time around. And I’m so glad I did, because this sausage, mushroom and onion frittata is de-li-cious, and I know you’re going to LOVE it.
Even if you aren’t jumping on the Whole30 bandwagon, I still think you should give this recipe a try. Not only is it yummy, but it’s also good for you with lots of veggies, high in protein, and free from a lot of common food allergens that may cause gastrointestinal discomfort. It makes the perfect breakfast (or brinner!), and I loved having a small piece before my workouts to prevent my blood sugar from crashing. Yum yum yum!
Want to know my favorite thing about frittatas? How crazy easy they are to make! Especially since I can cook everything in one skillet, which makes this busy mama oh so happy. All you need to do is sautee the onions in some olive oil, add the mushrooms and sausage, whisk together the eggs and coconut cream, season everything then mix it all together before popping in the oven.
See how easy?
Aaaand it makes so much food that you’ll have leftovers to eat all week long. You’re welcome. ;)
But for reals. If you haven’t tried making a frittata at home, you are missing out! And after you make one, come back and tell me how it went. I’d love to hear what you put in yours!
Sausage, Mushroom and Onion Frittata
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pint mushrooms, diced
- 1 package Aidells chicken & apple sausage, sliced
- Compliant Cajun seasoning
- 8 large eggs
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the “cream” part at the top. Discard the liquid part! Heat in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften the cream. Whisk into the eggs.
- Heat olive oil over medium/high heat in an oven safe skillet (I used our cast iron pan), and add the onions. Cook until translucent and fragrant, about 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sausage and cook until the sausages are browned and mushrooms are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Season with cajun seasoning.
- Pour in the egg mixture, and make sure everything is evenly distributed in the skillet. Place the skillet in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the eggs are fully cooked.
- Remove and enjoy! You can top your frittata with salsa or guacamole for even more flavor. :)