Growing up, I loved the popsicles that came in all the different colors. They were probably straight up sugar (no wonder I loved ’em so much!), and my favorite part was drinking the “juice” that collected in the bottom of the plastic sleeve. My favorite color was red, of course, and I never ate a purple because fake grape just isn’t for me! They were the perfect summer’s day treat, and I always looked forward to cooling down in the afternoon with an ice cold popsicle.
However, as I grew up, my love for popsicles faded. My teeth became more sensitive to the cold, and they just didn’t sound quite as appealing as they did before. That is, until I came across Steel City Pops! One of my sweet photography friends and I headed over there after shooting a hot summer wedding together, and I instantly fell in love. Not only were they THE best popsicles I’ve ever had, but you could tell they used fresh fruit and real ingredients- two of my favorite things! I first tried their Peach popsicle (and it tasted like heaven), then a couple months later I gave the Strawberries and Cream a try, and was blown away. Their cream based pops are JUST as delicious as their water based ones, and the quality was unparalleled.
If you can’t tell, I’m a bit of a fan.
The sad news, though, is that the closest Steel City Pops to me is at least 25 minutes away… Bummer, I know.
Which is why I decided to try my hand at making some tasty pops this summer. The result? Pretty darn good (if I say so myself). I tried to keep them as simple, flavorful and REAL as I could (no artificial stuff for me!), and I am so happy with what I came up with! I made them “cream” based using coconut/almond milk and coconut cream, and used fresh strawberries, honey and a little bit of sugar. The sugar and honey are key to making sure your pops are not rock hard- no one wants that!- and easy to eat.
One of my favorite things about these pops is that once you have the right base recipe, you can change things up as you see fit! Add strawberries or raspberries, mix your favorite fruits together, or (if you’re feeling adventurous), make some cookies and “cream” pops that you will LOVE. The sky’s the limit, y’all!
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar*
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups strawberries, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup almond/coconut milk
- 1 can coconut cream
- Strawberry slices for garnish
- In a medium saucepan heat the water, sugar and honey until a soft boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the strawberries and cook at medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the strawberries have softened and a syrup has formed.
- Add the coconut milk and coconut cream to the mixture and whisk together!
- In a popsicle mold, place some strawberry slices for decoration, then pour the popsicle mixture into the molds. Just warning you, it will be a sticky hot mess!
- Freeze until solid!
- To remove the popsicles from the mold, run some hot water over the mold and slide right out. You can store in the freezer using individual baggies or the mold for up to 3 months.
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
Are you a fan of popsicles?
Which combo do you want to try?