- 3 lbs tomatos (or two 28 oz cans of whole tomatoes)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- If you are using canned tomatoes, skip this step:
- Get a large pot of water boiling with tomatoes in it. Boil the tomatoes until the skin starts peeling off. Transfer then to an ice bath to cool down so you can peel them easily.
- While the tomatoes are cooling, cook the onion and garlic in a large pot using the olive oil until fragrant and golden brown.
- Peel the skin off the tomatoes with your hands (it should slide right off), then add them to the pot with the onion and garlic, squeezing each tomato as you do to break it down a little better.
- Add the tomato sauce, paste and veggie broth to the pot and bring the soup to a boil.
- Pour the soup into a blender and blend until it forms an even consistency and all the tomatoes are blended well. Return the soup to the pot.
- Season the soup and simmer for 30 minutes, or until all the flavors have combined. Don’t be afraid to taste test and add some more seasoning as you go. Trust me… I did a lot of this until I got the perfect flavor!
- Pair with some crunchy grilled cheese and you have the perfect meal to beat the winter blues.