I feel like summer is already here. It’s been in the upper 80s to mid 90s the past week and boy oh boy it’s HOT. I knew this summer was going to be tough being pregnant and all, and let’s just say it’s already been a doozy for me, and we’re only halfway through May. Say a little prayer for me in the upcoming months. ; ) But with these hotter temps also come my cravings for fresh, bright and veggie-filled dishes like today’s recipe, my Summer Zoodle Salad.
The idea came to me while talking to my in laws about zoodles, and I thought it would be fun to make a “salad” using some lower carb veggies that are chock full of vitamins and nutrients your body l-o-v-e-s. Like asparagus, brussels and cherry tomatoes… Y’all it just doesn’t get much better than that! I kept the tomatoes and brussel sprouts raw, but blanched the asparagus to make it a little softer, and cooked my zoodles in some olive oil until tender (I actually spiralized zucchini AND squash cuz #summer).
Here’s the spiralizer I use and LOVE. I used to have a giant contraption that looked super fancy, but not only was it a pain to wash all the little parts after every use, but it just didn’t seem to work the way I wanted it to. This other one is so much smaller, easy to store and clean, and spiralizes so well. I HIGHLY recommend it!
One of my favorite parts about the whole recipe was the avocado “dressing” I tossed the zoodles in. I wanted something fatty to help keep me full, and avocado just sounds SO good this time of year! I simply blended together some ripe avocados, lemon juice, basil and water until creamy, and voila. A delicious avocado dressing that added loads of fresh flavor and healthy fats to the dish. Mmm mmm mmm!
As for protein, I ended up running by Chick-fil-a after barre class because I was ravenous and needed something to eat asap in order to make it home. Y’all… low blood sugar while pregnant is NOT a good idea! While getting my waffle fries – hey, baby gets what baby wants! ; ) – I decided to order some nuggets to go on top of the salads rather than cooking up something at home. And I promise I 100% intended to order grilled nuggets (they are SO good) but apparently I actually ordered regular ones instead. Oops. I didn’t notice until I got home and then decided to just go with it.
And let’s be real. The nuggets were amazing, as always.
Next time I’m getting grilled nuggets, though, because I KNOW they will probably taste even better with all the fresh veggies in this recipe. : )
This Summer Zoodle Salad was SO easy to prep, and Isaac really liked it, which is always a win for me. His exact words were “This is great! It’s so fresh.” Basically, the best compliment ever.
You betta believe this will be a staple this summer! I love how easy it makes loading up on veggies, and it was so filling and tasty. Winner winner!Print
- 2 zucchini
- 1 squash
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup brussels sprouts, shredded
- 2 avocados, ripe
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil (about 5 leaves)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: chicken or other lean protein
- Create noodles out of the zucchini and squash using a spiralizer. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, then add the zucchini and squash and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, and add the asparagus. Cook for 2 minutes, then immediately transfer to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and shred the brussels sprouts. Set aside.
- In a blender cup, blend together the avocados, water, lemon juice and basil until thick and creamy. Add to the zucchini and squash, and stir to completely cover the zoodles.
- Prepare the bowls! Start with the zoodles, then top with the tomatoes, asparagus, brussels and protein. Can be served warm or cold!
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
What is your favorite summer recipe?
Have you ever tried making zoodles before?
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small compensation if you purchase an item using that link at no extra charge to you. This is to help keep the blog running, and giving me the ability to bring you amazing content!
All opinions in this post are my own. I was not paid, nor did I receive any items in exchange for this review. I’m just sharing what I love because I love y’all!