I don’t know if you noticed, but Thanksgiving is right around the corner! Yes, you read that right!! Two weeks from tomorrow is T-day, which means it’s time to start thinking of what to make for the big day. I love everything about Thanksgiving, from the harvest decorations, the delicious food, time with family and official start of the holiday season. I have so many memories associated with this time of year, and I look forward to it months in advance. Anyone else with me??
Last year I shared a lot of healthier holiday foods for you to try, and this year I’m continuing the tradition! For the next six or so weeks I’ll be posting some fun and healthy variations on some go-to comfort foods, starting with today’s tasty Spinach & Arugula fall salad. Next week I’m sharing some paleo friendly recipes to make for Turkey Day, and keep an eye out for lots of new recipes in the weeks that follow. :) Have a request? Let me know in the comments, and I’ll do my best to make it!
So today’s spinach & arugula fall salad was inspired some of my favorite fall flavors. Between the “candied pecans”, honey crisp apples and vibrant vinaigrette, it’s bursting with flavor and deliciousness. This is a great side to have at your Thanksgiving dinner this year, and a healthy way to add a little bit of sweetness and lots of greens to your table. It’s also super easy to throw together (I’m talking less than 10 minutes!), which is my kind of side! But don’t take my word for it… Give this recipe a try, and you’ll see what I’m talking about!
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 large honey crisp apple, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp ACV
- Rest of the coconut sugar mixture
- Heat a 10 inch skillet, and toast the pecans until fragrant.
- Mix together the melted coconut oil and coconut sugar.
- Add 2/3 of the coconut sugar mixture to the pecans and stir in the pumpkin seeds until fully covered. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula and spinach.
- Top with the apple, seeds and nuts.
- For the dressing, shake together the olive oil, ACV and the rest of the coconut sugar mixture. Drizzle over the salad!
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
What’s one of your favorite healthy holiday meals?
What are your go-to toppings for a salad?