An easy, delicious and beautiful cake, perfect for the 4th of July!
- 2 boxes Classic White cake mix
- 2 cups water*
- 1/2 cup coconut oil*
- 6 egg whites*
- 5 oz pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 16 oz Original Cool Whip
- 1 pkg strawberries
- 1 pint blueberries
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 (or 325 if you are using dark or nonstick pans like I was). Spray the bottom and sides of two round cake pans with nonstick spray and lightly flour.
- Prepare the cake according to package directions, using the water, oil and egg whites (I substituted the vegetable oil for coconut oil, because that’s all I have at home).
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans, filling each pan 3/4 of the way full. You may have some left over, which I baked in a smaller glass dish for fun!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes are slightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
For the filling
- While the cake is baking and cooling, prepare the pudding “icing” and the fruit.
- In a large bowl, mix the vanilla pudding mix with the sweetened condensed milk. Fold in the Cool Whip until no streaks remain.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Wash the strawberries and blueberries. Remove the leaves from the strawberries and slice.
Assemble the cake
- Once the cakes are cooled completely, carefully slice each of them in half, creating four thin cake layers.
- Put a little of the icing on your cake stand or plate, then place the first cake layer on top. Evenly cover the cake with the icing. Line the strawberries around the outside edge and fill in the middle.
- Put another cake layer on top, and repeat the process using the blueberries.
- Repeat with the third cake layer and the rest of the strawberries.
- Place the fourth layer on top and generously cover the top with the “icing”.
- Decorate how you want! I used some left over strawberries and blueberries, then sprinkled some powdered sugar all around.
- Cool in the refrigerator for at least 1-2 hours before slicing and serving!
- *These ingredients for the cake may vary depending on the cake mix you buy.
- To store: Gently cover the cake with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge. I found that it was even better the next day because the pudding had more time to sit!