For the filling:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews (roasted, unsalted works best)
- 1/4–1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the potatoes:
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup ghee
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters then place them in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the onion and carrots until they start to soften, about 7 minutes. Add the zucchini and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes or until mostly cooked.
- Add the ground beef and cook the mixture until the pink is mostly gone from the beef.
- In a blender cup, blend together the cashews and chicken stock. Start with a 1/4 cup of stock and add more if needed to get a creamy but not too thick consistency.
- Pour the cashew cream and tomato paste into the veggie and meat mixture. Season the mixture. Stir to combine then remove from heat. Scoop into an 8×11 oven safe pan.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and add the milk and ghee. Using a blender or potato masher, mash the potatoes until creamy and delicious. If the mixture is too dry, add a splash of milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop the potatoes on top of the veggie/meat mixture and smooth out. Bake in the oven until golden brown on top, about 20 minutes (OR broil on high for about 5-7 minutes).
- Now it’s time to dig in and enjoy!