This Mushroom and Veggie Quinoa is a delicious source of nutrients, protein and fiber that your body will love.
I have been eating quinoa for years. When I first started making it, I ate it because I knew it was good for me, but I didn’t like it at all. Thankfully, over time, I have learned a few tricks to make some pretty delicious quinoa. I have found that plain quinoa (cooked with water and little seasoning) can be very bland, but works great when you add it to soups, chili and stuffed peppers. When I like to make my quinoa as a side, it needs a little somethin’-somethin’ to bring it to the next level. Today I’m sharing my most recent recipe, which was inspired by one of my coworkers, and was by far my favorite to date. I had some every day for lunch last week and never got tired of it. This Mushroom and Veggie Quinoa will be a crowd pleaser for sure!
Before we get to the recipe, let’s talk quinoa. If you have been reading here for a while (or follow me on Instagram), you have seen that I eat this stuff all the time. Not only is it easier and faster to cook than rice, but it’s chock full of nutrients that your body loves. It is an excellent source of manganese, phosphorous, magnesium, fiber and zinc. It also has a ton of protein (8 grams in one cup!) and iron, and who doesn’t like that?1 Something interesting about quinoa is that it’s not actually a grain. Even though it is used as a grain, and can even be ground up into a “flour”, quinoa is really a seed. It is versatile, and there are so many recipes you can make with it!
What are your favorite ways to enjoy quinoa? If you have a recipe you love, share it in the comments! I’d love to try it out.
Mushroom & Veggie QuinoaPrint
The perfect side dish for your next dinner party! This quinoa is full of veggies and bursting with flavor, a definite crowd pleaser.
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa*
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bag frozen Mushroom Medley (from Trader Joe’s) or 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Seasonings (salt, pepper, thyme, smoked paprika, etc.)
- In a large sauce pan, heat the quinoa and chicken broth until it’s boiling. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Continue cooking the quinoa until the broth is fully absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Turn off heat and keep the pot covered until quinoa is needed later.
- Meanwhile, chop the veggies and heat the olive oil to medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Cook the bell peppers, onion and garlic until soft and fragrant (about 5-10 minutes). Add the bag of frozen mushrooms. Keep the heat on until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add the quinoa and seasonings to the veggies and stir until fully incorporated. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
- *I like the tricolor quinoa from Trader Joe’s, but regular quinoa works just as well.
- I separated my quinoa into glass containers and kept them in the fridge for up to 7 days. Just microwave for 1:00-1:30 minutes and you’re good to go!
- Serving Size: 8