I hope everyone is having a great Friday so far! Today marks the end of Year Three’s first week of school, and y’all… I’m exhausted. There’s just something especially draining about the first week of school. Between welcoming in a whole new group of kiddos to teaching them the ropes of third grade, I end each day ready to hit the hay. But, as tiring as it is, I’ve gone home every day this week with a smile on my face. I love being able to build relationships with my students, love on them, and show them someone out there is rooting for them. That’s why I get up every morning!
So to end this long, but fulfilling week with a bang, I am thrilled to share my latest DIY with you!
A few weeks ago, when one of my sweet friends shared some adorable leather oil diffusers, I was intrigued. They looked so cute, and I loved the idea of using essential oils for adding some fragrance to the air rather than typical candles or wax melts. And let’s face it, I’m all for finding fun ways to use my favorite essential oils fragrances (like this amazing air freshener or these sugar scrubs!). So naturally, when I saw these and heard how easy they are to make, I jumped on it! And boy am I glad I did- they are so much fun, so pretty, and work wonderfully.
All you need are a few simple materials to make your leather oil diffusers, which is one of the things I love the most about this project. You can make it as simple (or as complicated) as you want!
To cut the leather, I actually used a Cricut. I found some Cricut brand Rose Gold metallic leather at JoAnn’s, and knew it would be PERFECT for this project, so I borrowed my friend’s machine and got to work! If you don’t have one, don’t worry! You can easily trace your design on your leather and cut by hand (which was my original plan until I found that gorgeous leather ;) ).
I kept the hanging mechanism simple, with a connector ring and suede thread leftover from making my DIY earrings, but you can also use a badge clip like these so you can clip your diffuser wherever you want! My friend, Amy, loves clipping them in her air vent for a car freshener, and said it works great like that.
For the fragrance, just use your favorite essential oil combo, then step back and enjoy the *smell* of your hard work!
Don’t feel like making one yourself? Check out Amy’s Facebook page and snag some of your own! While you’re there check out her custom aplicque shirts- they are SO cute.
Leather Oil Diffusers
Leather- stiffer leather is better!
1. Cut the leather into your desired shape. I did Texas (of course) and a flower! The solid shapes work best for this project.
2. Using the needle, poke a hole in the top of your shape and roll it around to make the hole a little bigger. Open the connector ring with some pliers and poke it through the hole.
3. Cut your suede thread to the desired length (mine was 8 inches long), feed it through the open hole of the connector ring, then pinch the ring closed with the pliers.
4. Tie the ends of the thread into a knot so the diffuser can be hung.
5. Drop 5-10 drops of the essential oils of your choice! I apply it on the back, where it’s more porous and can soak up the oils. The “wet” spots left by the oils will fade away and leave only the smell. When the fragrance has dissipated, reapply your oils!
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
What do you think about these fun diffusers?
Have you ever used a Cricut to make a project just a little bit easier?