When I think of this time of year I get giddy like a little kid on Christmas morning. I know, I know… It’s a bit obnoxious and my white girl is showing, but I don’t care. ;) Once the cooler weather hits I go all pumpkin-spice-everything, but occasionally I like to embrace some of the other flavors of the season. Which is where today’s recipe comes in! When my friend Emily from Martinez Made asked me if I wanted to do a recipe collaboration, I jumped at the opportunity. Not just because it involved some of her homemade pasta but also because I couldn’t wait to make a delicious fall meal with her.
And let me tell ya… Her Butternut Squash Ravioli was ah-ma-zing. Seriously. Delicious homemade pasta filled with a butternut squash and parmesan filling. It doesn’t get much better than that! To go with the ravioli, Emily asked if I could make a sauce, and I was excited for the challenge. I wanted to stick with fall flavors, and knew a creamy sauce would go perfectly with the pasta, and so my Creamy Sage and Parmesan Sauce was born.
If you’ve been reading here for a while, then you know how much I L-O-V-E my cashew cream sauce. I’ve made many a meal with it, and today’s recipe was no exception. But I took it to the next level and let’s just say it was delicious. Not only is the cashew cream sauce delicious on its own, but when you add cream cheese, fresh sage and parmesan, you better hold on to your britches! Between the butternut squash, sage and parmesan this is a fall meal you definitely want to try.
Best of all, if you head on over to Emily’s blog, you can learn how to make your own butternut squash ravioli. Word on the street is that it’s easy peasy, and I can’t wait to try my hand at some soon! And trust me when I say you need to make this Creamy Sage and Parmesan Sauce to go with it. You won’t regret it.
- 2 cups cashews
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch sage (about 4 leaves)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup parmesan
- Salt & pepper
- Blend together the cashews and 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth in a blender (I use my blender cup and it works perfectly!). Blend until thick, creamy and all the chunks are gone.
- In a medium saucepan, pour in the cashew cream, the rest of the chicken broth, the bunch of sage and the cream cheese. Stir constantly until the mixture is warm and the cream cheese is fully melted in. The sauce will stick and burn to the bottom of the pan if you don't stir!
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and add the parmesan and salt and pepper (to taste) to the sauce. Stir until the parmesan is fully melted and the sauce is thick and creamy. If the sauce is too thick, add more chicken broth until it's reached the desired consistency!
- Serve over your favorite pasta (like some homemade butternut squash ravioli!) or cover and store for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
What’s your favorite fall meal?
Have you ever tried making homemade pasta?