The perfectly indulgent yet healthy and satisfying side dish that you need to try this holiday season! Full of healthy carbs, veggies and protein, you will LOVE this recipe.
- 8 oz dry quinoa and brown rice pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, cubed (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 2/3 cups shredded cheese (I used Munster cheese)
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions (no longer than al dente). Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and saute onions until golden and fragrant (about 10 minutes). Place the onions in a blender and return skillet to the stove.
- Pour in the broth and add the butternut squash. Cover and cook until squash is fork tender, about 5-7 minutes. Drain, but reserve 1/2 cup broth.
- Add the butternut squash, reserved broth and cashew milk to the blender. Puree until smooth and creamy. You should have lots of yummy sauce!
- In a large bowl, mix together the pasta and sauce. Add the cheese and stir to melt (the heat from the sauce should melt it). Add the chicken and broccoli, and mix.
- Season with salt and pepper, and voila! You are finished.
- You can choose to not add the chicken if using as a side dish. Or you can use turkey breast for a fun holiday twist!
- The quinoa and brown rice can get mushy fast, so do not over cook.