This butternut squash mac and cheese is the perfectly indulgent yet healthy and satisfying side dish that you need to try this holiday season! Full of healthy carbs, veggies and protein, you will LOVE this recipe.
The holidays are here, and I am SO excited. I look forward to these months for so many reasons… the decorations, the music, the time with family, and most of all, the food. The one bad thing about food during the holidays is that it’s not always the best for you. So for the next few weeks, I will be sharing some “lightened up” versions of some of my favorite holiday foods! From this delicious macaroni and cheese recipe to a fun twist on apple crisp to holiday inspired smoothie bowls, you’re going to love it all.
So now, let’s talk butternut squash mac and cheese. This stuff is ah-ma-zing. I saw one of my fellow Dallas Fitness Ambassadors posted a picture of some BSMAC (yes, the name is obnoxiously long…), and immediately I knew I needed to give it a shot. With my current love for all things butternut squash (read here if you don’t believe me), this recipe seemed right up my alley! It ended up turning out delicious, and by adding some chicken I was able to eat it every day for lunch last week- WIN. If you are looking for the perfectly indulgent, yet healthy and satisfying side dish this Thanksgiving or Christmas, you have found it, my friends! With all the hidden (and not so hidden) veggies, you are able to stick to your goals without going overboard, and I love the quinoa and brown rice pasta too. It’s such a great way to enjoy some pasta and carbs without all the guilt and yuckiness that comes with traditional pastas. And if that hasn’t convinced you, my husband loved the BSMAC, so it’s got the Isaac Stamp of Approval! You need to try this recipe out this holiday season, y’all.
Do you have any favorite recipes you would like to see here? Let me know in the comments, and I’ll do my best to add them in!
The perfectly indulgent yet healthy and satisfying side dish that you need to try this holiday season! Full of healthy carbs, veggies and protein, you will LOVE this recipe.
- 8 oz dry quinoa and brown rice pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, cubed (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 2/3 cups shredded cheese (I used Munster cheese)
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions (no longer than al dente). Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and saute onions until golden and fragrant (about 10 minutes). Place the onions in a blender and return skillet to the stove.
- Pour in the broth and add the butternut squash. Cover and cook until squash is fork tender, about 5-7 minutes. Drain, but reserve 1/2 cup broth.
- Add the butternut squash, reserved broth and cashew milk to the blender. Puree until smooth and creamy. You should have lots of yummy sauce!
- In a large bowl, mix together the pasta and sauce. Add the cheese and stir to melt (the heat from the sauce should melt it). Add the chicken and broccoli, and mix.
- Season with salt and pepper, and voila! You are finished.
- You can choose to not add the chicken if using as a side dish. Or you can use turkey breast for a fun holiday twist!
- The quinoa and brown rice can get mushy fast, so do not over cook.